by Jackie Potts
Let’s say you’re on a great MeetMoi date. You like him..a lot. Then you spot his cell phone. It’s cracked in a spiderweb configuration, or from the last generation…or five. Pop quiz, hotshot: What do you do? Do you imagine ridicule? Does your life flash before your eyes?
Nicole, 32, can relate. The dater is temporarily using a flip phone because her iPhone was stolen. “I’m mortified,” she confesses. “I find myself explaining why I have a dumb phone. So I secretly text inside my purse!”
Cars, cufflinks, cell phones. They’re all status symbols: shortcuts for who you “are.” In fact, cell phones say a lot about a person—if you’re paying attention*:
- Carry the latest iPhone—before your friends? You’re either Apple obsessed, or image-conscious to the point of narcissism. Or, maybe you just love the camera feature.
- Blackberry? You’re likely a loyal and steadfast partner, but perhaps nostalgic and resistant to change.
- Android? You’re a nonconformist who sniffs at the latest trends. You love music, wear skinny jeans, and live in Brooklyn, Los Feliz, or Santa Fe.
- Satellite phone? You’re Marty McFly and you just valeted your 1985 DeLorean.
What kind of phone do you have, and what does it say about you?
* All results are fictitious. However, we take full credit for any resemblance to real life circumstances.
Jackie Potts is a blogger, copywriter, and content strategist for MarketSmiths.com.