Enjoy this special post by guest blogger, Mary Wright, a New York City based matchmaker who specializes in matchmaking for alternative lifestyles (interracial, gay and casual daters). Check out her website http://unlockedlove.com
- Be open-minded – Love doesn’t discriminate and neither should you. We’ve all heard the cliches about love being blind. If in doubt, take a risk and give love a try.
- Do some research – Use the Internet to discover information about your dates culture and traditions. It’s a great ice breaker to know something about your dates background.
- Avoid stereotypes – Do not feed into the stereotypes that surround many racial groups. Stay neutral and get to know the individual because each person is unique in their own way.
- Ask questions – Most people won’t mind telling you about their religion or their families original country of origin. Don’t assume, it’s safer to ask and learn.
- Decline with tact – If you really don’t want to explore the possibilities of dating outside your own race, don’t beleaguer the process. Be polite and excuse yourself from the date before things go too far. You can simply say you’re not comfortable and no other explanation is really needed.