by Mijon Zulu
When Juliet stood at her window, she did not say “Oh 33slush45, 33slush45, Where for art thou 33slush45”? Right? Right. For that reason, picking a username is something that you should not do under the influence of anything or while joking with your friends.
Bad usernames are something born out of the newness of the Internet and companies like AOL bringing chatting to the masses. Yes, once upon a time I too made the mistake of using ‘nuvoyant17’. Was I 17? No. Why nuvoyant? I used to take French and I thought that phrase meant ‘clear seeing’ or ‘clairvoyant’, but it actually reads ‘sees-naked’. Oops! My bad.
Thankfully, at MeetMoi, we monitor usernames to prevent you from making the following mistakes.
- Random numbers and symbols
- As showcased by Juliet, this is simply boring, confusing, and not memorable.
- Nonsensical phrases, fake words, and/text language
- Examples include: ‘Waiting4U’, ‘CanUdoIt’, and ‘Onlyluv4U’ . Usernames like these start to make other users wonder whether you can spell and that never something that you want to put in a potential significant other’s mind.
- Usernames from a Diane Steele book
- Yes, Diane Steele can write a good heart wrenching, depressing, sad, and inexplicably long novel about bad things that happen to good people. Great. Do you necessarily want to date all of that baggage? Hell no! So, before start trying to make people feel sorry for you, remember no one wants to date someone because they feel sorry for them.
- Putting anything sexual in your username.
- Guys, when you do this you sound like a predator. No woman will trust that you aren’t just after a one night-or-shorter-stand.
- Girls, when you do this, yes, you show that you are liberated, but a guy may think twice before mentioning your username or you to his mother. Remember, you do want to eventually meet his mother.
Also, because we love you, we interns promise to do some research on how to create acceptable usernames. Till then, watch out for the warning signs listed above.